Thursday 5 September 2013

MEDICINE: We have a chat to Shannon Wardrop!

 
PART 1: THE 'INTERVIEW'

1 - What are your earliest musical memories and when did you first decide you wanted to make a career out of music?

"The earliest musical memory was spinning round in a circle on holiday until I was dizzy and making up funny words to accompany a funny tune when I was about 3 ha-ha!"
 
2 - Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist?
 
"I was in an all-girl band at school for years which was a bit of fun with some friends which I think taught me a lot about the kind of music that I enjoy playing!"
 
3 - Why did you choose to go solo instead of forming a band?
 
"The band that I was in at school broke up when everyone went off to University so I just carried on making music which just so happened to be alone for a while. I now have a lovely backing band with me though and I have to say that I much prefer having a band with me as opposed to being solo. I don't know if it's just because I have always been used to having a band around, but I think it's a much healthier and creative environment when you're working with other musicians."
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Shannon Wardrop?
 
"I get asked this a lot and I never know what to say! I would say that my sound is strongly inspired by 60's and 70's music, in particular bands like the Stones, The Small Faces etc. so I'd like to be able to say that my 'sound' is a big mix up of British rock n roll but with a modern twist!"

5 - Your debut EP is called 'Medicine'. Why?
 
"Medicine is the name of the song that we felt was the strongest of the bunch on that EP so I felt to go with that and make 'Medicine' the statement as such!"

6 - What influenced this EP and the songs on it?
 
"I was writing these songs at a time when I was stuck in a bit of a rut musically after my old band separated, so I think I have come from a different angle on each of the songs which was reflective of how I was feeling at the time. 'Medicine' in particular came about through boredom and trying to find a cure/remedy for it, so I just sort of played around on that idea."

7 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"What a question! It would have to be the Stones! I mean, who wouldn't want to play with them?!"

8 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"Always!"

9 - When can fans be expecting a new single, EP or album?
 
"We are currently in the process of mastering my 2nd EP which I'm really excited about! We recorded it at RAK Studios in St John's Wood a couple of months ago which was an incredible experience and I'm really excited for people to hear what we did! Keep your eyes peeled on my facebook and twitter for a release date!"

10 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Our next gigs are the 17th September at The Notting Hill Arts Club, 28th September at The Spice of Life in Soho and The Old Queen's Head on the 16th October. We will be booking some more very shortly as well as hopefully going over to Germany in the autumn to play some shows over there."

11 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"You're teasing me! I don't think I could choose a small enough group of people - I would put together an eclectic choir filled with nutters like Keith Moon and Janis Joplin and see what miraculous noise they could create haha!"

PART 2: THE "QUICKFIRE ROUND" 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"John."

 2 - Favourite band?
 
"The Stones."
 3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Temples."
 
 4 - Favourite song?
 
"Time Is On My Side."
 5 - Favourite album?
 
"Sticky Fingers."
 6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"Vinyl - nothing beats that crackle unless you're opening a bag of crisps! Teehee."

7 - Style icon?
 
"I love the style of ladies like Marianne Faithful, Pattie Boyd, Anita Pallenberg etc!"

8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"For affordability and a good range of styles, my go-to's tend to be ASOS, Topshop and Zara!"

 9 - Favourite film?
 
"The Boat That Rocked is my all time favourite! I just love the music, the humour, the fashion and feel like a kid in a sweet shop every time I watch it!"

 10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Scooby Doo."

11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"I suppose I would have to say Kirsten Dunst as a lot of people say I look like her!"

12 - Favourite food?
 
"Potato."

 13 - Football team?
 
"If I'm honest, I don't know enough about football to say that I support a team. But as my dad will probably be reading this I'd better say QPR! Haha!"
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Shannon Wardrop! Check out our previous feature on Jane James!
 
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB Records

No comments:

Post a Comment