Friday 6 September 2013

PROFOUND: We have a chat to Martin J. Sandom about his solo career!

 
PART 1 - THE 'INTERVIEW'
 
1 - What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"I'm not sure of a specific musical memory, but I can remember being around music a lot as a child. My dad is very much into his music and so there was always music playing around the house. I also remember watching his music videos (on VHS) at quite an early age, specifically his "Sounds Of The Seventies" videos with live performances from "The Old Grey Whistle Test", also I remember seeing The Wall (Pink Floyd Movie) but not really understanding the film or the music at the time. I'm not sure what pushed me towards music. I just love creating music I guess. As I said, I was around music a lot as a child and I remember always liking the idea of performing music. I used to spend hours singing along to music in my bedroom as a kid. Then at around fourteen I started to learn to play the guitar and as soon as I learnt a few chords I started writing songs with them, I've been writing songs ever since."
 
2 - Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist as Martin J. Sandom?
 
"Yeah, pretty much ever since I started playing the guitar I started trying to put bands together. My first proper band, that I played live with, was when I was seventeen. I played guitar in a band called Hidden Agenda. Since then I've played the bass, sang and played the drums in various different bands over the years, but I haven't played with a band now for a couple of years."
 
3 - Why did you choose to become a solo artist instead of forming a band?
 
"I started playing as a solo artist in about 2010, at the same time as being in a band, so it wasn't a conscious decision to become a solo artist. I just wanted to do something new as a songwriter and see what music I could create and perform on my own. Also, I had reached a point where I was confident enough to perform on my own. Before then, I don't think I was brave enough to get up on a stage with just me and my guitar, I was more comfortable being hidden slightly, within a band."
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Martin J. Sandom?
 
"When I started writing my solo music I wanted it to be quite simple and stripped down. I wanted to try and express what I wanted in the most simple way I could, in terms of song structure and arrangement. At the time I was playing in a band called Know No Bounds and I was writing songs with odd time signatures and more complex song structures, so my solo project was a kind of counter to that. I tend to start with a basic blues or folk song structure or riff and then mess with it a little and try and put my own take on it."
 
5 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifier)."
 
6 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"There's always a new song in the pipeline."
 
7 - When can fans be expecting a new single, EP or album?
 
"I've just released an EP called "Profound" and I am just finishing off another EP which I will release in a month or so. After that I plan to start writing some new songs for an album to be released sometime in 2014."
 
8 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Nothing planned at the moment. I have been living in the Czech Republic for the last year but I will be moving back to London in a couple of weeks, so after that I will start looking at some new live dates."
 
9 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Drums - John Bonham, guitar - Tom Morello, bass - Bootsy Collins and vocals - Chino Moreno. Not sure how well it would work in reality, though it would be interesting to see."
 
PART 2 - THE 'QUICKFIRE ROUND'
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"Ringo."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"Impossible to pick one, so here's the first five bands that come into my head: Tool, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, The Who and The Doors."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Not technically a band, but really liking a solo artist called Matt Corby at the moment."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"Again impossible to pick one, but the first song that comes to my head right now is Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should've Come Over."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"Hmmm, again hard to answer...The Who - Quadrophenia or maybe Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks or...I could easily list my top 100 "favourite" but I'll just stop there."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"In an ideal world I would say vinyl, but in reality I have to go with download for convenience."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Don't have one."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Don't care for brands, any good quality clothes at a reasonable price not made in sweat shops is ideal though."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Momento."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"At the moment, Breaking Bad."
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"I've been told that I look a bit like Jack Gyllenhaal, so I'll say him."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Anything cooked for me by someone else."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Whoever's losing, I'm a fan of the underdog."
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Martin J. Sandom! Check out our previous feature on Shannon Wardrop!
 
 
Listen to "Lover, You Should've Come Over" by Jeff Buckley here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXe1jpHPnUs
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB Records

No comments:

Post a Comment