Sunday 3 November 2013

THE FRACTURED SLEEP: We have a chat to Ed Poole about his latest EP and much, much more!

Photo: Our next interview will be with Ed Poole Music, a superb solo artist from Liverpool! Stay tuned! AB Records
 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"My first musical memories go way back to when I was really small. Probably about three/four years old. My parents are big music fans and had stacks of Beatles LPs and singles. I remember listening to 'Please Please Me' over and over for years and my
dad teaching me how to work a record player! When I got older and got into punk rock that was when I decided I really wanted to play music. Bands like Blink-182, Green Day and No Use For A Name among many others really turned my head and opened a lot of doors for me. It was melodic and poppy but also had energy and an aggression behind it. These were the kind of songs that I felt I could pick up a guitar and write myself, that was a very empowering feeling."
 
2 - Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist as Ed Poole?
 
"Yeah I've been involved with bands since I was at secondary school. My first band was called 'No Fit State' which, although was just me and a bunch of friends having fun, taught me a lot about playing and writing collaboratively with other people, we made our first recordings together. I also spent quite a few years playing guitar in 'This Devastated Fan'. We had a lot of fun touring and recording, but in the end, for various reasons it just didn't work out, although the band are still going strong today."
 
3 - Why did you choose to become a solo artist instead of forming a band?
 
"I don't think it was a conscious decision straight away. I'd been having a break from music after I left a band and after a few months of nothing, I did a one off show where I played some songs I'd been working on, and just kind of fell into the solo thing from there. It was really liberating, going from being part of a band, relying on each others busy schedules all the time, to being able to just head out with my guitar any night of the week and just go and play a gig. It felt like the fresh start that I knew I needed."
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Ed Poole?
 
"There's definitely a strong pop element to the sound, in terms of melody, I think that's really important. I'd say it was haunting but also powerful in places, acoustic based alternative pop. A bit like if City & Colour had a baby with Deftones and forced it to listen to Brand New!"
 
5 - Your upcoming EP is called ‘Winters’. Where did this title come from and why did you choose it?
 
"The title 'Winters' is actually taken from a line of the closing track of the EP. I thought it would make quite a snappy title. I think the feeling of winter corresponds quite well with the feeling of the music too. Hopefully people will want to stick it on and sit by the fire when the evenings start to draw in."
 
6 - What can fans expect from the EP?
 
"First and foremost I just want people to enjoy it. For whatever reason. I want people to get the same feeling that I get when I listen to my favourite music; that 'hair standing up on the back of your neck' moment when you really connect with a piece of music, emotionally. That's the ultimate goal. If I can give that to at least one person, then for me the record has done its job."
 
7 - The EP has quite powerful artwork. Can you talk us through why you have gone with the artwork that you have?
 
"It's a photo by a wonderfully talented photographer called Stuart Bulman, from Southport. He offered to help me with a sleeve design for the EP. I looked through some of his collection of work, saw the image and decided straight away that was going to be the cover. I loved everything about it, knowing I wanted something that was striking, and intriguing, but also reflected the haunting feel that I had gone for in some of the songs, so for me, it was a perfect match."
 
8 - The lead track from the EP is ‘The Fractured Sleep’. What is this song about and what influenced it?
 
"The song isn't really about just one thing. There are different lines inspired by different things throughout the song so it's hard to pin it down to just one thing, but 'Fractured Sleep' refers to difficulties I sometimes have with sleeping, and the strange headspace a person can find themselves in during the early hours when they can't sleep and how perspectives can often alter, and ideas can come and go in a fleeting glimpse before you get chance to hang on to them. In terms of musical influence there's a definite City & Colour influence throughout. My friend/producer James Tidd crafted the piano part himself, which gave the song a kind of bounce, and took it in a slightly different direction to what I had originally envisaged, but it made for a better song and I'm really pleased with it."
 
9 - Do you have any 'rituals' before going on stage?
 
"Not particularly. I like to make sure I get to the venue early and make sure I introduce myself to the promoter, sound engineer, other bands playing that night, things like that. No weird superstitions or anything!"
 
10 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Yeah, November 4th, Wahlbar, Manchester with Gaz Brookfield, Joe McCorriston and Ieuan Williams; November 20th, Lomax, Liverpool with Jonah Matranga and December 21st, Elevator Bar, Liverpool."
 
11 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"Absolutely. People that know me know that I'm not the most prolific of writers, but I definitely have a bank of songs that aren't on 'Winters' that I've been playing live recently, plus a few brand new ones too."
 
12 - When can fans be expecting the next release?
 
"I hope to have something out early-mid 2014, which will almost certainly be another EP."
 
13 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"John Frusciante. He's pretty much been my hero since I was about sixteen. The guy can do anything."
 
14 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Travis Barker on drums, Flea on bass, Joe Strummer on rhythm guitar and vox, John Frusciante on lead guitar and vox, Richard Wright on keys, Clarence Clemons on sax and Eddie Vedder on lead vox."
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"George."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"Brand New."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"The Xcerts."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"At the moment it's Reflection by Balance and Composure."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"CD."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Indiana Jones."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Macbeth."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"True Romance."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Lost."
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Christian Slater - but only if he agreed to do his 'Orange Sherbet' English accent from his cameo in Austin Powers."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Pretty much any kind of curry."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Liverpool FC."
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Ed Poole! Check out our previous feature on Wana Shibemba!
 
Check out Ed Poole here - http://www.edpoolemusic.com/
  
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment