Wednesday 23 October 2013

AIR CONDITIONED GYPSY: We chat to Alex from Darling BOY about their debut EP, their desire to collaborate with God and they also reveal they are working on a Christmas song!

Photo: Our interview today will be with the immensely talented Darling BOY! Very in depth interview about his debut EP amongst other stuff! AB Records
 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What was your earliest musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the music industry?
 
"It involves a Michael Jackson cassette and plenty of lyric misinterpretation. Ever since I first heard him I wanted to do what he did. It sounded like magic coming through the speakers and I wanted to know how to cast the spells. That desire has never left me."
 
2 - Had you been involved in any other band prior to Darling BOY?
 
"I'd been in a few, and continue to play in other groups aside from Darling BOY. My main other band at the moment is Duncan Reid and the Big Heads, playing really great punk rock. Duncan is an inspiring frontman and excellent leader, and I've learned an awful lot from him. The Darling BOY song 'Oh Roisin!' is one we play live, and we are also recording a version for Duncan's next album."
 
3 - How did Darling BOY begin?
 
"I was playing some solo shows last year, and Duncan asked me to be his support at his 100 Club album launch party. I thought it'd be a shame to waste all that venue space with an acoustic performance, and so asked five good friends to help me out. It was a good call!"
 
4 - Where did the name Darling BOY come from?
 
"The notion of something being simultaneously hard and soft, masculine and feminine, melodic and percussive, a juxtaposition of textures, just like my songs. The idea itself was borrowed from the Stone Roses' rationale for coming up with their name."
 
5 - How would you describe the sound of Darling BOY?
 
"Romantic rhythm driven folk punk."
 
6 - Your debut EP is called “Air Conditioned Gypsy” – a very unique title. Where did this title come from and why did you choose it?
 
"It's a lyric in a Pete Townshend song, 'Going Mobile', which was recorded by The Who on the 'Who's Next' album. I wrote a song around the title a couple of years ago in Dublin, with my good friend Duncan Maitland. I travel and tour an awful lot, so it seemed to be quite apt. I would have named it after the song 'Shirley' but felt my weekend exploits should be kept under wraps."
 
7 - The opening track is “Crazy Jane and Jack the Journey Man”. Who are “Crazy Jane” and “Jack the Journey Man”?
 
"Both characters from a series of poems by WB Yeats. I didn't think he'd mind me borrowing them."
 
8 - One of my favourite songs on the EP is “Fortune”. A song that reminds me of The Libertines. What influenced this song and what is the song itself about?
 
"I borrowed the riff on 'Always Your Way' by My Vitriol, and mixed it with a bit of The Strokes. Lyrically, it's essentially an ode to not whinging, and keeping an eye firmly on all the good things and memories in your life. It's the anti-emo. When I finished the song I'm sure I head Gerard Way weeping in the ether."
 
9 - You have also released a single, “Oh Roisin”. What is this song about?
 
"I wrote it to impress a friend who I was quite taken with. Lyrically, I just went along with a feeling, but the inflections and metre of the lyrics are basically the sound of want. She really likes it and we're still very good friends so I obviously did a good job!"
 
10 - I remember hearing that you have played bass for The Last of the Troubadours in the past. How did this come about?
 
"I did, for about five minutes! Darron, from the band, and I go way back, and when I heard he was looking for a new bass player I offered my services. We did a few rehearsals, but then Duncan asked me to come to Argentina with him for a two week tour, which I couldn't really turn down, and I unfortunately had to lose an Irish tour with Last Of The Troubadours. They then found another bass player and a new rhythm guitarist and are sounding excellent with them. They are a great bunch of lads and have excellent taste in quality footwear."
 
11 - Do you have any 'rituals' before you go on stage?
 
"Not really. I don't believe in superstition. I believe in me!"
 
12 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Yes, we've got a nine-date tour of Germany in November. We'll hopefully be announcing some UK dates very soon, too."
 
13 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"I've been working on ideas for the next few records, and also writing with Duncan. I've also recorded a Christmas song which is being released on Highline Records' Festivus compilation later this year, with tracks from Dodgy, Piney Gir and Glam Chops among other guitar-toting festive-lovers."
 
14 - When can fans be expecting the next release?
 
"The Air Conditioned Gypsy EP is being released on beautiful vinyl through the wonderful Plane Groovy Records next month!"
 
15 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"God himself. I'd have the last word, though."
 
16 - Who would be in your dream supergroup?
 
"Five clones of me. I'm pretty adept at most instruments and don't argue with myself."
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"Paul."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"Everything Everything."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Wolf Alice."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"Learning To Fly by Tom Petty."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"The Remote Part by Idlewild."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"All of them."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Johnny Marr."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Converse."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Transformers: The Movie (1986)."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Red Dwarf."
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Arnold Schwarzenegger."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Quesadilla."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Aston Villa."
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Darling BOY! Check out our previous feature on Capital Sun!
 
Check out Darling BOY here - http://www.darlingboymusic.com/
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment