Saturday 5 October 2013

COME HOME: Our interview with South East London singer-songwriter Jenson Tagg!

Photo: Our next interview will be with the very talented Jenson Tagg, a singer-songwriter from South East London! Jenson will be releasing his debut album, 'Scream', in the next few days! Go and check it out and pre-order it on iTunes! AB Records
 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"My first musical memory is of owning a Fisher Price tape recorder that had a microphone attached. I was four years old and I only had one tape, which was Michael Jackson's Thriller, that my brother gave me. Coming from a musical family it was always my dream to be involved in the family party singalongs with my older brother and cousins."
 
2 - Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist as Jenson Tagg?
 
"Yes. I was in a band called Wild Angel with friends from school from 2004-2008. This band evolved into Ghost Writers who I was with from 2009-2012."
 
3 - Why did you choose to become a solo artist instead of forming a band?
 
"Whilst with Ghost Writers I was writing and recording material on the side that I didn't think suited the Ghost Writers sound. In November 2012 the band split due to boredom and the predictability of each other musically. I had all these songs sat there so the logical move was to persevere with them and get an album together
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Jenson Tagg?
 
"It's always hard to describe yourself in any way. I usually just say 'singer/songwriter' as it's a broad answer. If I was going to narrow it down it would be a mixture of rock, blues and folk."
 
5 - One of my favourite songs of yours is "Come Home". Can you tell me what influenced this song and what is the song itself about?
 
 "A personal favourite of mine too, partly because it has Courtney Marie Andrews on it who is a big influence at the moment. I'm afraid to say it's an old cliché love song. I wouldn't say it's 'original' in form but I've always wanted to write a song like this. I think it's the first song I impressed myself with. I try to make all my lyrics straight forward and very honest and this one is no exception. Plus it has four of my favourite local musicians on it as well as Courtney."
 
6 - Do you have any 'rituals' before going on stage?
 
"I normally like to find a quiet corner and have one Jack and coke for courage and try not to speak to anyone until afterwards. I get very nervous before shows especially the last fifteen minutes where the clock just seems to stop on the wall."
 
7 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Not yet but soon. I've been focusing on finishing my album 'Scream' which should hopefully be on iTunes in October."
 
8 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"After about two weeks of writers block I normally get a shed load in about a week which is what has just happened. I've got about five I'm working on. One is pretty much finished and ready to record which is called 'All You Have To Hide', and the others I have about two verses and or a chorus for. No titles for them as yet."
 
9 - When can fans be expecting the next release?
 
"October - fingers crossed."
 
10 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"About a month ago, my answer would have been Courtney Marie Andrews as she is probably my favourite current artist. She was graceful enough to record some beautiful harmonies for me on 'Come Home'. First ones that come to mind are Jack White, Norah Jones, David Zincke, Wallis Bird and Paul McCartney."
 
11 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"John Lennon on vocals and rhythm guitar, Jimi Hendrix on lead guitar, James Jamerson on bass, John Bonham on drums and Richard Manuel on piano. Backed up by The Staple Singers."
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"

1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"John."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"The Beatles."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"The Raconteurs - is that new enough?"
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"If I had to pick ONE...A Day in the Life - The Beatles."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band for its honesty."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"Vinyl."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Jack White."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Don't have one."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Back to the Future."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"The Office (UK version!)"
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Jack Black."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Italian food."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Tottenham Hotspur."
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Jenson Tagg! Check out our previous feature on Coffee Jingle Records!
 
Watch out for Jenson's debut album and check him out here - http://www.jensontagg.com/
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB Records

No comments:

Post a Comment