Saturday 19 October 2013

WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND: Our interview with America's finest new band, Buffalo Clover!

Photo: We will be bringing you an interview with America's finest new garage/soul/rock 'n' roll band Buffalo Clover later on today! Watch this space! AB Records
 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What is your earliest musical memory and what pushed you towards perusing a career in the music business?
 
"Hearing the ice cream truck. I mean, the driver, I figure that guy was probably once a musician. He probably went through a faze, quit school and moved to Nashville, started vomiting at open mics and dive bars just hoping to vomit on the right person, so he could pursue his dream of being in all the biggest soda ads. Now he's waiting to get a call from his new manager to strait up mug him for all he's worth and leave him in the rotten ditch…yeah, that sounds like a good life right? if all else fails, you can eat all the ice cream you want!"
 
2 - Had you been involved in any other bands or musical ventures before Buffalo Clover?
 
"I was the lead finger pointer in a band called Secret Hamshake."
 
3 - How did Buffalo Clover begin?
 
"The earth was with out form, and darkness fell upon the face of the deep, well, that's one story..."
 
4 - Where did the name Buffalo Clover come from?
 
"We were gonna call it Soul Patch, but the domain name was already taken. My Great Aunt Hazel and I were having a conversation on the phone about some weed that was takin' over her yard called trifolium stoloniferum. It was Latin and didn't really have much of a ring to it, so I did a quick translation and the rest is history. The crazy thing is, my Aunt had been dead for ten years!"
 
5 - How would you describe the sound of Buffalo Clover?
 
"I've never actually heard it, but my friend's brother told me it's pretty good."
 
6 - Margo, before the band what was it that drew you to Nashville?
 
"Initially, I wanted to move to New York, Los Angeles or Rome, but I had a cousin living here at the time. I came down summer of 2003 and we went on a rampage. Downtown Broadway was a little different back then. We were hangin' out with a seedy crowd at the time, in places, some of which, aren't even around anymore-  The Pub of 'Love', Bobby's Idle Hour, Windows On the Cumberland. We were experimenting in some pretty heavy stuff back in those days. White blotters, mushroom tea, mescaline…I wrecked my car the first week I arrived and I was living in Antioch of all places. Held up in my third floor apartment, listening to early Bob Dylan records. I was doin' blow with the Russian mafia and eating caviar… Anyway, it definitely wasn't music that brought me here, but it will be music that leads me away."
 
7 - What influenced your latest record, 'Test Your Love'?
 
"Failure, death, lipstick on cigarettes, flickering neon signs in all night laundry mats, abandoned phone booths, sinkholes, collapsing stars, broken governments, marriage, sidewalks, body odour, cheap wine, trash cans."
 
8 - One of the standout tracks from this record is 'Why Can't You Understand' - an upbeat number that seems to have hints of funk about it. What influenced this song and what is it about?
 
"I'm not sure, Matt wrote that one, but I'm guessing it would have something to do with broken vows and motorcycles."
 
9 - Margo, you have worked on a couple of projects with Brittany from Alabama Shakes. How did this come about?
 
"We met a long time ago in dusty cock fighting ring near Juarez. She'd been beat up pretty bad in a car crash and I was coming off of speed. We drank wine in a cantina and sang karaoke with a man who had a glass eye. So, yeah, you could say I've worked with her. Once you've been through something like that, you're always friends."
 
10 - You've also shared stages with the likes of The Flaming Lips and legendary sax player Bobby Keys. How did it feel sharing the stage with legends such as these?
 
"Who said that? Sounds like a lie. I did in-fact share a stage with Tammy Why Not, Sea Sick Bill and Eric Church."
 
11 - Do you have any 'rituals' before you go on stage?
 
"Jeremy likes to cross dress and do Sudoku, I prefer staring at a picture of Donald Trump for an hour without blinking."
 
12 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"A few live ones and a bunch of dead ones."
 
13 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"Yes, in fact for our album release show we will be playing all new songs that are NOT on the record, and we will be recording a live album on 2 inch tape that night to be given away online."
 
14 - When can fans expect the next official release?
 
"November 14th, 2013 at The Five Spot in East Nashville."
 
15 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"Jim Skinner, Mark Fredson, Johnny Walker (red and black), Domino Joe (I don't actually know anyone by that name, but I like it), and Mitch Jones."
 
16 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Moon Unit, Steve Martin, Charles Barkley and Bill Clinton."
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"Stu."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"The Band."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Margo and the Price Tags."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"We Three (Ink Spots)"
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"Exile On Main Street."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"Vinyl."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Abraham Lincoln."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Which ever one Ghandi wore."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Withnail and I."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Three's Company."
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"A fit black dude."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Fake butter."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"The Braves."
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Buffalo Clover! Check out our previous feature on Alex Vann!
 
Check out Buffalo Clover here - http://buffaloclover.com/
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 

No comments:

Post a Comment